This fab ornament has been on my mind for while. Bright and fun I have made it in our gorgeous merino wool felt as I've intended it to be an heirloom. Choose your own colours and make a few to look beautiful en masse on your tree this Christmas.
+ 100% Merino Wool Felt Sheets
+ Contrasting DMC stranded thread
+ DMC Light Effects thread
+ Hobby Fill
+ Erasable Marker
+ Tacky Glue
+ Dress My Craft Die- four petal pointed flower (optional)
+ Sizzix Framelits Die - Circles (optional)
+ Sizzix Framelits Die - Scalloped Circles (optional)
+ Christmas Ornament Pattern
1. Print our Christmas Ornament Pattern, cut out pieces. Use erasable marker to trace around the pattern pieces onto the felt and cut out.
2. Cut die pieces or use pinking shears to cut a fancy edge. Use any shape you like for the center, a star or flower shape. I have used the middle sized die from Dress My Crafts four pointed petal flower die set. Super handy if you have a die cutting machine, otherwise freehand cut a shape to suit.
3. Use a little Tacky Glue to fix the pieces together so you're not chasing the small pieces around your craft bench.
4. Using three strands of DMC thread, start stitching you favourite stitches in contrasting colours. I have used lazy daisies, french knots and a straight stitch. Mix up your threads and try the Light Effects for a bit of bling, its a bit tricky to use but well worth the effort ;)
5. Stitch up three sides of the ornament using a whipstitch or a blanket stitch. On the fourth side stitch halfway closed so the top remains open for stuffing. Stuff your ornament with hobby fill or similar.
6. Finish stitching to the top of the ornament and tie off your thread. Take a length of 20cm of the Light Effects thread, stitch through the top of the ornament and knot for hanging.
Have fun with this pattern by incorporating sequins and beads and different shapes and colours to suit your decor for the season.
I'd love to see what you make, tag me in your projects #thefeltfactorynz or pop me a photo.
Hi! I'm Rebecca.